“I say then, walk by the Spirit and you will certainly not carry out the desire of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is against the Spirit, and the Spirit desires what is against the flesh; these are opposed to each other, so that you don’t do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.” Galatians 5:16-18 (CSB)
We all have desires that we are not to pursue and do. In order to over come these desires we must utilize the work of the Spirit in our lives. We are to, walk by the Spirit, be led by the Spirit, live by the Spirit, and keep in step with the Spirit.
Our personality type is not an excuse for failing in this endeavor. And how do we know we are walking by the Spirit? Our actions will be marked by the fruit of the Spirit. If not those action will be marked by the things of the flesh.
We are warned about the flesh life. You do not see God unless you are growing in holiness. Good works by believers can be done even if they are not perfect. True Christians do not give up on righteousness. True believers don’t keep on sinning.
The Spirit helps us by showing us five things:
- The Spirit shows us the nature of sin. Our morals reflect what we believe about sin.
- The Spirit shows us the origin of sin. Sin is not a little thing. It is what the Devil does. Do you practice righteousness or sin? When we sin we are only continuing the Devil’s work.
- The Spirit shows us the person of Christ. We need to know Christ and what He does. Be who you are in Christ. Grow in to who you are. You will get there.
- The Spirit shows us the work of Christ. The Devil is for sin. Christ is for salvation.
- The Spirit shows us the new birth. The giving of the seed. A new nature, principle, and power is at work to transform us. You are not the same person you were.
Give people hard truths and give them hope. Make them know what is at stake. Warning people of great sin is a sign of great love!
“If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit.” Galatians 5:25 (CSB)